The Pandemic has brought most Americans an economic crisis, many have been left with debt and jobless. This has made the debate in the Congress for the size of the stimulus payment checks much more important, now a provision in the stimulus package could result in regular checks for parents starting later this year.
Democrats have said this change – in conjunction with stimulus payments, childcare credits and other relief for parents in President Biden’s proposal – could reduce the number of children living in poverty by more than half.
The details on how frequent checks could be distributed are not finalized, but some details have been released:
- For this year only, Democrats have proposed increasing the benefit from $2,000 per child to $3,000 per child. Parents of children under age six would be eligible for an even larger $3,600 total credit.
- The plan would also include $3,000 benefits to the parents of 17-year-olds who meet plan qualifications. Previously children had to be 16 or younger.
- Regular check distribution would begin no sooner than July and would be an advance on up to half of the total benefit. A family receiving the benefit for one child under the age of six would see $300 monthly payments for six months. Between seven and 17, the benefit would be $250 monthly, if approved.
- The added payments this year would begin phasing out for couples making over $150,000, and couples making over $170,000 would see no added benefit.
- As in previous years, single filers making under $200,000 and married filers making less than $400,000 would still be eligible for the $2,000 payments.
- The frequency of the checks containing the first half of the payment is not yet solidified. The Treasury Department will determine how frequently checks can realistically be distributed.
- The remaining half of the credit would still be claimed when taxes are filed.
- The credit would be refundable, meaning you could still get the credit even if you don’t end up owing taxes.
- Some Democrats have called for making the payments permanent.